Loading the crossword has yet to start.




Find these words in the riddle: {{crosswordData.description}}

Difficulty level {{crosswordData.level+1|localeNumber}}
Word directions: only to the right and down any, including diagonal and backwards
List of words that should be found: visible before found hidden before found

Mark the words:

You have found {{count.solution|localeNumber}} of {{count.words|localeNumber}} words You have found all {{count.words|localeNumber}} words!

  • {{word.fields | joinWord}}

The marked word {{message.word | joinWord}} is not part of the solution.

Congratulation, you have solved the riddle!Congratulation, you have solved the riddle in {{message.time | duration}}!

You have found {{message.solution|localeNumber}} of {{message.words|localeNumber}} hidden words during the alloted time.

Please be patient for the crossword being loaded.

The names of all of these people are hidden in the wordsearch grid. Click on each name to discover their connection with Preston.

The church in  Preston is named after Saint Martin of Tours -‘The Glory of Gaul’.

The laying of its foundation stone took place in1899 on Saint Martin’s Feast Day – the 11th of November. Its consecration was performed on the11th of July the following year -1900.

St.Martin is the Patron Saint of beggars; soldiers (mainly of Infantrymen); geese; vintners / innkeepers and of France. Whilst riding through Amiens in Gaul (now France) St. Martin met a beggar. As the only thing he had to give were the clothes he was wearing, the Saint cut his heavy cloak in half and shared it with the beggar. He later had a vision of Christ wearing the cloak.

There is a stained glass window in the church with the face of Julian Royds Gribble on a figure representing St.Martin, with his cloak and sword.

A stained glass window at St.Martin’s Church is a memorial to Julian Royds Gribble. The design depicts Julian’s face on a figure representing St.Martin with his cloak and sword, next to a meandering stream, with a small sailing boat on a lake behind it.

Julian was born in January 1897, the sixth child of the family. With the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Julian left Eton, aged 17 and went to Sandhurst to train as an officer.

Throughout the next four years this remarkable young man was promoted to Captain, received the VC (the British Army’s highest award for valour and devotion to duty) was wounded and been taken a prisoner of war.

Julian wrote many letters home throughout the war, mainly to his mother. The parish is blessed to have a copy of these letters.

Just eight days before the Armitice was signed Julian fell ill with Spanish Infuenza followed by.double pneumonia. On the 24th November 1918 his fellow officer prisoners boarded a train, from Mainz, to travel home to England. They had to leave Julian behind in the prison hospital, where he died, only a day before the French Army arrived with food and medicine.

He was only 21 years and 10 months old.

John Bunyan was born, in Elstow near Bedford, in 1628. He was the oldest son of a tinker. Bunyan was also a tinker and then a soldier in the Parliament’s Army, before he became an Evangelical Baptist Preacher. He is the author of more than 60 literary works.The most famous being The Pilgrim’s Progress.

He regularly stayed in a cottage, and held services, in Wain Wood. The cottage bears his name as does the natural amphitheatre he used, Bunyan’s Dell.

Mr Michael Foster of Cambridge volunteered himself and members of his family to raise the money to build a Baptist Chapel in Preston. It was to be an expression of their gratitude to God for His goodness to them and as a memorial to the connection their ancestors shared with John Bunyan.

The memorial stones of Preston’s Bunyan Chapel (now Redmayne Bentley Stockbrokers) were laid at three o’clock in the afternoon by Edmond Foster and J Foster.

The inscriptions on the stones read ‘This stone was laid by Edmund Foster Esq. of Cambridge April 5, 1877’ and ‘An Ebenezer of the Foster family whose ancestors wrere associated with Bunyan and Preston’

Edwin Lutyens was born at Onslow Square, London in 1869. He was one of fourteen children. He has been lauded as the greatest British Architect ever.

Taking the requirements of the time he imaginatively adapted traditonal architectural styles. The distinctive character to much of his work is due to a simple but subtle system of ratios between dimensions and angles of a building, which he develped. His buildings can be seen in many places, London, Washington, New Delhi and Preston, to name a few.

There are over a dozen properties in Preston designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Work on the extension / adaptation of Temple Dinsley (now Princess Helena College) began in 1908. He collaborated with Gertrude Jekyll in creating formal gardens (including the Rose Garden) to the west and the north of the house. More of his buildings around Preston include: Minsden Farm (now Ladygrove); Crunnells Green; Chequers Cottages and 1 & 2 Hitchwood Cottages.

Gertrude Jekyll  was born in Mayfair, London in 1843. She was the fifth of seven children. As a horticultural garden designer she created over 400 gardens in the United Kingdom, Europe and the United States.

These included numerous landscapes for Edwin Lutyens. One of which, was the gardens of Temple Dinsley (now Princess Helena College). Its formal rose garden is classified as one of their greatest collaborations. Theirs became the most influential and historical partnership of the Arts and Crafts Movement.

Her gardens are known for their radiant colours and the use of planting to create the effect of brush like strokes, resulting in outstanding designs. She also wrote many books and articles about gardenng and 19th century country life.

We often referred to the website A History of Preston in Hertfordshire Published by Philip Wray In our research of these people.